Weight Loss Journey
Karla’s Weight Loss Journey
Making the List: 76 Pounds and Counting….
There’s a list at the gym that has the names of the top 20 members each month. I made a decision to be on that list several months ago. It wasn’t that I wanted to be number one or to be recognized publicly, rather it was for myself. I wanted to prove to myself that I had the motivation and determination to stick to a plan; to go to the gym every single day. The first time my name was on that list I nearly cried; I was number 4. Excited to share my accomplishment I took a picture of the list and texted to my closest friends. My trainer, Alfred congratulated me with a “fist pump” and a big smile. He knew how hard I had worked to reach my goal. My name continues to be on the list and in March I was number one! Somehow in the midst of a busy life filled with obligations I managed to go to the gym 31 straight days. Yes, I am quite proud of that.
Having spent over 20 years out of shape, overweight and grasping at the latest and greatest quick fix diet I am finally on the right path; learning to make the right choices both physically and emotionally. In honor of the list at the gym and the 76 pounds I have lost in the last six months I made a list of things I can do as a result of the weight loss. I made a similar list when I hit 36 pounds and was amazed at what I could do at that point. Now, 40 pounds later my list has grown considerably. In sharing this list my wish is not to be recognized for the accomplishment alone, rather to provide encouragement for those who struggle the same way I did (and once in a while still do). The work is hard, really hard; sometimes so hard I want to cry. I don’t cry though, I turn that anxiety into sweat and success and as a result I find that I can do the following:
- My closet is full of color! Not only have I had to update my wardrobe twice and continue to pick up a few things here and there but I am wearing red, pink, blue, green and stripes! I have discovered that wearing colors makes me feel pretty; I don’t mind standing out in a crowd anymore.
- I can take a bubble bath. As difficult as it is to admit, I wasn’t able to fit in the standard bath tub in my house. My daily routine included a quick shower and now, bubble baths are a welcome treat after my workouts at the gym. I had forgotten how much I loved bubble baths and now I don’t have to remember because I can take one any time I want.
- Hugs are so much better when the person hugging you can wrap their arms all the way around you; it’s simply perfect.
- My feet have gotten smaller and my shoes are much cuter.
- Climbing stairs is not a death sentence; I actually choose to take the steps now. It’s a great way to get in a little extra cardio.
- I can sit crossed legged on the floor! Sitting on the floor has not been an option for many years. Being able to sit on the floor with my preschoolers, on their level is so awesome.
- I actually own several belts and wear them!
- I’ve taken 304 pounds of pressure off my knees allowing me to put the arthritis medicine away.
- I feel pretty. For the first time in a long time I like the person in the mirror. She smiles a lot more and is truly happy from the inside out.
No matter where you are in your life journey, it’s never too late to start taking better care of yourself. Taking the necessary steps toward a healthy life will allow you to make your own “can do” list. I encourage you to make the most of each day making sure to make time for yourself; after all you are the only you there is and you are relevant.
Also check out Karla’s 24 Day Advocare Challenge updates and Wellness Wednesday posts for more of her weight loss journey.