Each Thursday during the Fall and Winter The Centsible Family will showcase a slow cooker (crock-pot) recipe that one of the Mavens of Money have tried and tasted. By sharing we hope you will be able to save a little time during the week as we all know saving time is just as valuable as saving money. And you will be able to enjoy a hot meal at the end of your day.
This week’s recipe is Macaroni and Cheese by Mackenzie at The Centsible Family that is a perfect family classic to serve. Prep time should be about 15 minutes and will cook for four hours on low and yield about 8 servings.
- 10 ounce (2 1/4 cups) dry whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella/swiss cheese
- 8 ounces American cheese, thinly sliced and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- Coat inside of slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine macaroni, cheeses, milk and evaporated milk in slow cooker bowl; stir well and cover; cook on LOW for 4 hours.
- When there is 30 minutes cook time remaining, stir in Worcestershire, salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in bread crumbs and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until toasted and golden. Sprinkle over Mac & Cheese and serve immediately.
I modified this recipe from Family Circle as I didn’t have everything they listed AND my slow cooker cooked faster then their 3 hours for High. I recommend only cooking on low because it WILL burn if cooked too much.