Save on Gas Bill
My home gas bill is always high during the winter time but with the Polar Vortex this winter, I am feeling the pain more now than ever. I started to figure out How To Save on Gas Bill so that I don’t have to pay more than I can afford. These simple tips will help you save money and still allow you to stay warm.
Save on Gas Bill Tips
Before you can begin to save on gas bill, you need to pull out your statements for the past year and become aware of how much you are spending each month. Most energy companies give you a small graph at the bottom to show how your usage for the most recent month compares to the previous months. Once you know how much you are spending you will be able to figure out how much you would like to save.
1. Install a Programmable Thermostat-Set it to automatically drop the temperature when you are not home. There is no reason to heat an empty house. This is also a way to save on electricity during the summer months by raising the temperature when you are gone.
2. Set the Thermostat for 68* or lower- You will spend 3-5% more for every degree you raise your furnace thermostat above this.
3. Add an extra layer of blankets to the bed. – Instead of turning up the thermostat because it is chillier at night add an extra blanket to the bed. You will feel nice and cozy and you won’t have to spend more to stay warm.
4. Upgrade to a More Efficient Furnace – If money allows invest in a more energy efficient furnace. A new furnace could save you as much as 20% in energy costs.
5. Invest in an Energy Efficient Water Heater– Depending on how many people in your house, the hot water heater can account for up to 25% of your home gas bill. By investing in an energy efficient water heater, you can drop the amount you spend.
6. Pay Attention in the Laundry Room. Wash loads in cold water whenever possible and make sure to do large loads. A large load uses less energy than 2 small or 2 medium loads. You can also save energy by doing all your laundry at the same time. The dryer drum stays warm so it uses less energy for the next loads.
7. Reduce your Water Heater Thermostat to 120* – When using the water we end up adding cold water to make the water cooler so by reducing the thermostat on the water heater you will also save on water.
8. Seal Air Leaks – Start at the top of your house and check for air leaks. Make sure to seal them appropriately with caulk, spray foam, weather stripping or insulation. This keeps the good air in and the bad air out. Make sure to check around windows, vents, and outlets.
9. Close Vents in Unused Rooms– By closing the vents you stop the warm air from heating up these rooms. This allows the warm air to go to the rooms that are being used. Make sure to keep the door shut also so it doesn’t grab the warm air from the hall.
10. Preheat your oven only if the recipe calls for it. Not all food needs to be place in a preheated oven. The time it takes to bring the oven to the temperature required can waste a lot of gas/energy. Put our foods in at the beginning and they will start cooking as the oven warms up. Also make sure to check on your food thru the stove window because opening the oven door will cause a loss of 20% of the oven’s heat.
Now that you know How to Save Gas Bill, make sure that you implement these practices and watch your gas bill drop.
Do you have ways that you save? Share them with us below.
Check out these Tips to Save on Home Repairs.
Check out these Tips for Getting out of Debt.
Check out how to Save Money with these Frugal Tips.
Topic: Save on Gas Bill