All Natural Recipes for Kids: Jiffy Sandwich Buns
This wonderful versatile Recipe Kids Can Make: Jiffy Sandwich Buns can be made in any shape- hotdog buns, dinner rolls, or a loaf of bread! Options are given for various dietary needs (sweeteners, flour, and dairy issues are all addressed.)
This Jiffy Sandwich Bun has been seen on the Healthy Recipe for Kids: Cucumber Sandwich recipe. Cucumber sandwiches is just one of many ways this baking recipe may be used.
Jiffy Sandwich Buns
- 4 - 4 1/2 cups flour
- 2 Tablespoons yeast
- 1 cup milk*
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Stir together the flour and yeast. Warm the milk, water, oil,honey, and salt slightly in the microwave. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix well. Add enough flour that the dough is not sticky. It will appear a bit dry. Let sit for 10 minutes. Shape as desired.
- For sandwich buns: Roll out on floured surface and use a large canning ring or cookie cutter to cut out the buns.
- Place on a greased cookie tray and let rise about 30 minutes. Bake at 400 until slightly browned 12-15 minutes. If you make a loaf it will need to cook longer to get the inside of the loaf warm enough to cook. One recipe makes approximately 12- 15 buns when using a large canning ring. Without any preservatives this bread will mold quickly if not kept refrigerated and or used quickly.
- *1/3 cup powdered milk can be added to 1 cup water to make the equivalent of 1 cup milk.
- Options: Use the flour of choice for your dietary needs. Note the consistency and properties of your flour. For example, whole wheat flour absorbs more liquid so less flour will be needed for this recipe. For a dairy free recipe simply omit the milk or use a dairy substitute. For a higher protein content use 2 eggs in place of 1/2 cup water and add more dry powdered milk. Sugar, molasses, or agave nectar may be used in place of the honey.