This recipe has been a hit at our Main Street Market cafe. Soup and sandwich can be a filling healthy lunch when this is part of your combination. We used fresh tomatoes, peppers, onion and garlic.
Kids Meal Recipes: Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup
- 1½ lbs. ground meat
- 1 large chopped onion,
- 1 large clove garlic
- 4 bell peppers
- 3 cans diced tomato
- 1 can (or fresh) crushed tomato
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp basil
- Fresh parsley
- 1½ cups rice
- Brown 1½ lbs. ground meat with 1 large chopped onion, 1 large clove garlic, (I used elephant garlic- it is large and mild flavored) and 4 bell peppers.
- Add 3 cans (or the equivalent of fresh) diced tomato, 1 can (or fresh) crushed tomato, 1 can of tomato paste, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, 1 tsp basil, some fresh parsley and 1½ cups minute rice
- Simmer 30-45 minutes.
- If you do not have Italian seasoning you can make your own using equal amounts of : marjoram, savory, thyme, basil and oregano.
- We love brown rice so I cooked our rice before adding it to the soup. Also, I am a firm believer in tomato based dishes having time to "age" with their seasonings (ever make spaghetti and think it tastes better the second day??) so I made this the night before we were to eat it. Next morning all I have to do is put the crock pot on low.
- If you don't mind a bit of kick to your food then add cayenne pepper- we did and loved the flavor!
- If you are using canned tomatoes there are variations (as seen in the picture) with garlic or italian seasoning that would minimize the need for adding spices!
Thanks to Rachel for this stuffed bell pepper soup recipe!
We also have lots of yummy Recipes for you to experiment and try in the kitchen.
If you have kids get them into the kitchen with our Recipes Kids Can Make!