This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PurinaPetPack #CollectiveBias
I hear bells, and I couldn’t be happier. That means there will not be a puddle. We have a puppy. We love our puppy. The children have dreamed of this puppy for years, and now she is here. That is why it was so important to teach our puppy how to go potty outside.
I forgot the following things when we got a puppy.
1. They are a lot like babies, and they are learning non-stop.
2. They do not sleep at night.
3. They chew everything.
4. They need help learning the rules.
5. You can’t leave them home alone for a very long time.
All of these reasons and more are why I am an avid Amazon Prime Subscribe & Save user. I even buy her Purina® ONE® SmartBlend True Instincts Real Salmon and Tuna on Amazon. I do so because it is cheaper with the Subscribe & Save option.
You can take advantage of the same offers:
I do not have to worry about running out of food because you can set it to deliver when you need it. You can tell she knows when it arrives on my doorstep.
Having Amazon Prime allows me more time to focus helping my pet learn all the skills she will need to stay safe and happy. She is learning to sit, stay, release, heel, roll over, lay down and potty training.
She even rings a bell to let us know she needs to potty.
How to Train a Dog to Go Potty Outside
1. Establish a feeding schedule
2. Determine how much she needs to eat and drink and when.
3. Notice how long after your puppy or dog eats that they need to go to the bathroom.
4. Get treats, leash, timer, shoes, and a bell the dog can reach.
5. Give your puppy or dog access to water.
6. It depends on your puppy or dog potty schedule but plan to set your timer for 15 minutes after your puppy/ drinks water.
7. When the timer goes off put on your shoes, grab the leash, find the puppy and put the puppy on the leash.
8. Tap the puppy’s nose on the bell and say outside.
9. Give the puppy or dog a piece of a treat after the bell is rung.
10. Place the puppy or dog outside.
11. If the puppy or dog goes potty, give them the rest of the treat and pet them and say good job potty outside (something to let them know the action you want them to take and positive praise).
12. You will need to repeat this process every time you take your dog or puppy outside. They will need help ringing the bell for a week or so until they understand what ringing the bell does.
The puppy or dog will begin to realize it means outside. They will know that outside is fun, and they will ask to go out. They do not get the other half of the treat unless they go to the bathroom outside.
You will begin to stop giving the treat once they master the bell. Then you reward them just half a treat for actually going to the bathroom. I reward for all potty and then I only reward for only poop. Once your dog or puppy can ring the bell and go potty, then you start rewarding every couple of times with a treat. You should continue verbal praise each time until the puppy or dog is accident-free.
The best part of training a dog to go potty outside is that having a bell allows you to go to new places without worrying about them going potty inside. If you do travel, then I would start over again with the bell on the door. The ringing of the bell with their nose and the treat. You can do so a couple of times until they ring the bell themselves. I have had great success helping my dog using this method.
Amazon Subscribe & Save is the key to less paying, more playing with our puppy. The time I save ordering the food she needs allow me to train her. We buy all of her supplies on Amazon from her bed, crate, bowls, leash, to her fan, Purina ONE SmartBlend True Instincts Real Salmon and Tuna food, toys, snacks, and even the bells we use to train her to go outside.
The best part is you can save money. It is so easy to set up for auto delivery. I adjust my delivery based on what my puppy needs.
You should try Amazon Subscribe & Save and you will be eligible for:
A savings of $5 off your first purchase using Subscribe & Save
A savings of 5% when you subscribe to one product
A saving of up to 15% when you subscribe for five products (think toilet paper, paper towels, dog snacks, laundry soap, dish soap, and in our house snacks.)
I know after you sign up for Subscribe and Save on Amazon Prime you will have a lot of time on your hands, and even if your dog is older, you can still teach them new tricks like ringing a bell to go outside. I love having a puppy that knows how to let me know she needs to go outside it is one less thing to worry about which is the other reason I love to subscribe and save.
Amazon Subscribe and save is the key to having a happy puppy whose Purina is always there when they need it. Also check out Purina’s Cat page on Amazon.