How to Hollow Out Oranges
A few weeks ago, we stayed at a lovely bed and breakfast in Lynchburg, VA. We had a four course breakfast that was insanely good. One of the courses was fresh berries served in an orange. The berries were good but I thought the presentation was so cute and clever. It would be perfect for a nice luncheon or maybe a bridal shower brunch.
I decided to try to make them myself. And since I was able to figure it out, I am sharing the steps with you on how to hollow out oranges, so you can make your own orange bowls.
How to hollow out oranges to make fruit bowls:
1. Cut both ends of a large orange. One end will serve as the opening of your bowl and the other is to create a flat surface so the bowl can stand on its own.
2. Using a spoon, separate the flesh of the orange from the rind. You may need to do this from both ends.
3. Now you can push all of the flesh out of the orange. Save this and make fresh squeezed orange juice.
4. Remove the orange flesh from one of the ends you cut off. You will then shove this down inside the hollowed out orange to create the bottom of your bowl.
5. Fill the bowl with fresh fruit. Serve and enjoy!
These are lovely with blackberries. I think raspberries would be stunning too. Or go crazy and fill with a mixture of several kinds of berries.