Onions are a staple in many dishes around the world. From soups to salads, this versatile vegetable is loved by many. But did you know that onions are also packed with health benefits? Let’s take a closer look at the different amazing health benefits of onions.
Health Benefits of Onions
Onions may make you cry, but they sure are worth it. They are delicious in salad or on a burger, sauteed, caramelized or raw. They are full of flavor and can be used in countless recipes, but do you know all of the health benefits of onions? Onions are great for your health, heart, skin and even your hair!
What are the Health Benefits of Onions?
1. Onions contain phytochemicals that work with Vitamin C to improve your immune system so you can fight off illness better.
2. Onions are high in chromium which helps to regulate blood sugar and iron which is helpful for naturally treating Anemia. Eating half a raw onion a day can improve your heart health by lowering bad cholesterol and encouraging the production of good cholesterol (HDL) and eating onions has also been shown to help in preventing cancer.
3. Onions have anti-inflammatory properties which can help conditions like arthritis and antiseptic agents which can help fight urinary tract infections and other infections.
4. Eating cooked or raw onions are a great way to lower your blood pressure without medication.
5. It can also help to thin the blood, clean unhealthy fats out of the blood, and even dissolve blood clots.
6. If you have a problem with constipation and gas, start adding more onions to your recipes and you will notice an improvement.
7. Scientists have also recently discovered that there is a compound in onions that can help to prevent your bones from breaking down which is good news for women that are at an increased risk for Osteoporosis.
8. If you already have a cold or cough, or if you are trying to prevent them, mix equal parts of onion juice and honey and take 4 teaspoonfuls a day. This will break up mucus and also is a wonderful preventative.
9. Half an onion in a bowl placed in the room of someone with the flu is said to remove bacteria from the body and aid in healing and relief of symptoms.
10. They also contain high levels of flavonoids, which have anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.
Hair and Skin Health Benefits of Onions
There have been studies that show that onion juice can regrow hair.
Apply onion juice to the scalp at least two times a week for at least two months to see regrowth. If you have dandruff or an itchy scalp you can mix the juice of one onion with an equal amount of coconut oil, apply to scalp and hair, cover and sit for a few hours before washing out.
Using onion juice in your hair not only will help it grow, it will make it soft and shiny while getting rid of itchiness and flakes.
Onions are high in Vitamins A, C and E
So eating them as well as using them directly on your skin has many benefits. You can juice an onion and use it to massage your face. This will increase blood circulation and make your skin glow.
The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties can also help cure acne. If you have pimples try mixing equal parts onion juice and extra virgin olive oil. Massage it on to your face and leave it for about twenty minutes before washing off. Do this 3 times a week. For some people, this clears up their skin better than prescription acne medication.
Do you have dark spots on your skin that you want to get rid of? The antioxidants in onions along with their lightening properties can remove dark blotches while leaving your skin radiant and soft.
Massage your skin with onion juice for fifteen minutes, at least three times a week for noticeable improvements. Onions are also fantastic for itchy insect bites. Just place a slice of onion on the bite and the anti-inflammatory agents will reduce swelling, pain and itching almost immediately.
In addition to their health benefits of onions, they are also low in calories and high in flavor. Adding onions to your meals can help enhance the taste of your food without adding extra calories.
When it comes to choosing onions, there are many varieties to choose from.
Red onions are a good source of antioxidants and have a slightly sweeter taste than white onions.
Red onions are easily recognizable by their deep purple-red outer layers and white flesh with reddish-purple lines. They have a milder, sweeter taste than yellow onions, which makes them a popular choice for salads and raw dishes.
They also contain more antioxidants than other onion varieties, which makes them a healthier option. You can slice red onions thinly and add them to sandwiches, burgers, tacos, or even pizza for an extra kick of flavor.
White onions, on the other hand, have a more pungent flavor and are a good source of vitamin C.
White onions have a papery, off-white outer layer and a mild, sweet flavor with a slightly pungent aftertaste. They have a firmer texture and a higher water content than yellow onions, which makes them a great option for dishes that require sautéing or caramelizing. You can dice white onions finely and add them to soups, stews, and sauces to add depth of flavor.
Yellow onions are the most commonly used variety and have a milder taste than white onions.
Yellow onions are the most commonly used onions in the kitchen. They have a brownish-yellow outer layer and a strong, pungent flavor that becomes sweeter when cooked.
They contain a high amount of sulfur, which makes them a popular option for caramelizing and adding depth to soups, stews, and casseroles. You can slice yellow onions thinly and fry them until crispy for a delicious topping for burgers, sandwiches, or salads.
I bet you have learned some things you never knew about onions and how amazing they are for you. From heart to lungs to skin to hair, eating and using onions daily can mean major improvements.
Most people love onions and use them in their recipes without a thought to anything other than flavor. We have always known that onions are delicious but who knew they offered so many other health benefits? Now that you know, make sure to grab an extra bag of onions when you go to the grocery store so you can try out some of these incredible uses and reap all the health benefits of onions.
While onions can be a healthy addition to many meals, they can cause some negative side effects for certain individuals. Some people may experience bloating, gas, or digestive discomfort after eating onions due to their high fiber content and ability to ferment in the gut. Additionally, the sulfur compounds in onions can cause bad breath and body odor.
To prevent these side effects, individuals can try cooking onions thoroughly or avoiding them altogether if they consistently cause discomfort.
Chewing sugar-free gum or drinking water after eating onions can also help freshen breath and aid digestion.
It’s important to note that individuals with onion allergies should completely avoid consuming onions and seek medical attention if they experience severe symptoms.
Do you know more Health Benefits of Onions? Share it with us below.
Find out how to conquer Crying When Cutting Onions
Here are some of our recipes with onions:
Also check out my 101 Uses for Baking Soda
Cook, Baker, Phototaker, Fitness Mover and Shaker, Cupcake Tester, Deal Maker, Adventurous Undertaker, Do Good “Deeder”, Teacher, Mom, Wife, Patriot for Life & Giver of Good Advice – RealAdviceGal