Nine bean soup mix is one of the prettiest gifts in jars!
This gifts in jars: Nine Bean Soup Mix is an excellent mix for after the holidays because you can throw in the leftover ham bone!
Gifts In A Jar recipes are an excellent way to help your friends and family avoid box mixes and meals as well as help them prepare ‘from scratch’ dishes quickly. I frequently double Gifts In Jars recipes so I will have a mix ready when I don’t want to pull out a bunch of ingredients. This gift is gluten free, as the recipient prepares the recipe that will simply have to be sure to use gluten free meats (particularly the sausage.) As you determine your jar size be sure to take into account that 2 cups are needed for the label recipe.
Gifts In A Jar: Nine Bean Soup Mix
- Kidney red beans
- Black beans
- Green lentil beans
- Black eye peas
- Brown lentil beans
- Garbanzo beans
- Lima beans
- Great Northern beans
- Pinto beans
- Mix equal amounts of the nine beans together. This can be done in a bowl or in a jar that is larger than the beans fill. A child will love to help mix these up! If you would rather you (or your child helper) may layer these 'sand art' style as pictured!
- Add this label:
- 2 cups bean soup mix
- 2 quarts water
- 1 pound ham and sausage, diced (can just use ham bone)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 16 oz. can tomatoes, undrained and chopped (may use frozen equivalent)
- 1 10 oz. can rotel tomatoes, undrained
- Sort and wash bean mix; place in dutch oven or crock. Cover with water 2" above beans, and soak overnight. Drain beans; add 2 quarts water and next 4 ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Cook overnight in a crock pot. Add remaining ingredients; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Makes 8 cups. If using a ham bone, remove bone from soup, remove meat from bone, chop meat and return meat to soup.
See these other Gifts In Jars: Brownie Mix, Hot Chocolate, Bath salts. You can also get books from Amazon that have Gifts In A Jar recipes (LOVE this series 1-cookies, One dish entrees,For kids, 4-soups) as well as the tags that can be copied then colored!