DIY Crafts: Make an Apron from a Pillowcase
DIY Crafts Idea
Are you feeling crafty but don’t have a lot of money? For those of us who live a frugal life and enjoy it, money is never really an object if you have a good imagination. In fact, the challenge of creating stuff without spending any money is a beautiful thing if you have the right attitude.
Today I’d like to suggest a way to make a beautiful and fun apron from a pillowcase you already have. The only other thing you’re going to need is your sewing machine, some scissors, and thread, which most of you already have at your disposal. So the cost of this project under those conditions, ZERO!
Now of course you can get really fancy if you are so inclined, as you can see from this great selection of images from Google of aprons made from pillowcases by DIYers. But making a basic apron from a used pillowcase can be done for free and in about 10 minutes.
Below are some easy to follow directions for getting this project done:
1. Lay out your pillowcase.
2. Fold up the bottom edge 8”.
3. Top stitch along the folded edge at 1/4″. (The stitched edge will become the top edge of the pockets.)
4. Turn the pillowcase over and fold the bottom up another 8″. There will be 3 layers of pillowcase.
5. Pin the layers together and top stitch around the sides and bottom edges.
6. Mark a line down the middle of the front pocket, pin and stitch.
7. Lay about 60″ of 1″ wide ribbon across the top edge of the apron centering it on the length of the ribbon. Pin in place.
8. Topstitch ribbon at the top edge, bottom edge and across ribbon at sides of apron.
If you want to really challenge yourself to create a wonderful apron from a pillowcase, maybe as a gift, you could get a lot of ideas from this book on Amazon, Craft Challenge: Dozens of Ways to Repurpose a Pillowcase.
With a bit of imagination you could make an apron from a pillowcase in this style. Making whole cloth from nothing is one of the most fun challenges frugal moms and dads, especially of the stay-at-home variety, can participate in, and getting your kids to join in making an apron from a pillowcase is one way to show them that money is no object when it comes to creativity and fun!
Thanks to Denise G. for this project!
Make sure to also check out our DIY Tips on How to Repurpose Old Pillow Cases
More DIY Crafts Ideas!
Do you love to write? Or can do crafts or have fun ideas for articles. MadameDeals is hiring! Apply now! Check out my >>> Job Board
Topic: DIY Crafts