Fruits and vegetables rank on the bottom of my list lately as I have seen their prices go up and the quality go down. This has always been a hard decision but with a strict grocery budget and no one in my house volunteering to give up meat, it has to be done. However, most recently I have realized not having fruits and vegetables handy is hindering my weight loss and affecting what my children eat. So I decided to figure out how I can save and have my fruits and vegetables. Today I hit the jackpot as you can see in the picture. Can you guess how much I spent on all the fruits and vegetables in the picture? Because I love to save money on vegetables.
How save money on vegetables
1. Buy the fruits and vegetables that are in season. Fall is the perfect time to enjoy apples and pears but they will cost more in the spring. These are the best times to buy Fruits and Vegetables
2. Compare prices between your local grocery stores, fruit markets, specialty stores each week when the sale come out.
3. Buy in bulk. Many times apples, oranges, potatoes, and onions are cheaper in prepackaged bags than individually. Split these purchases with family and/or friends if you won’t use them up by yourself before they go bad.
4. Only buy what you can eat before it goes bad. There is nothing worse than throwing away fruits and vegetables that are rotten. I see dollar signs in my heads when I do this.
5. Buy frozen or canned versions if fresh are not available for a reasonable price. This is a great alternative for strawberries, brocolli, green beans, cauliflower and berries. I do not like canned asparagus.
6. Buy from local farmers and vendors. This can save money and also give back to your local community. I will note that sometimes they are not always cheaper than the stores depending on your area and encourage you to be aware what the stores in your area are charging.
7. Buy fruits and veggies the way they were grown. Don’t pay extra just because they have already been washed, cut and package for you. It doesn’t take much time to do this yourself and is definitely worth the savings.
8. Shop the manager’s specials or clearance section. Many times this food is marked down because it is not attractive to shoppers but it is still perfectly edible. Many items that are marked down include: single bananas, broken apart bunches of grapes, slightly bruised apples, citrus that is not vibrant in color, etc. THIS IS HOW I SAVED TODAY!! I filled up my cart and came home with everything in the picture for only $31.64.
So when my family is roaming for food I can sit comfortably knowing that I have provided them with fruits and vegetables to keep them them satisfied and healthy.
Go enjoy some fruits and vegetables with your family!!!
Also check out our other saving money tips
Throughout the last few years, I have noticed a steady increase in helping others. It never truly disappeared but, it did seem to become less of a common thing. For a while, things in our society seemed more “me” focused. People were only worried about their needs and wants versus others needs or wants.
I am very happy to see the helpful mentality making a big comeback! I know there have been many times where I thought I would love to help someone. I saw their need, but, the trick was, not knowing how to go about it. Even if I did know how I could help, I didn’t know if they would be accepting or just think I was up to no good.
No savings, no emergency fund, nothing to fall back on. That’s where we are now that necessary repairs to our paid off, ten-year old car have been made. I’m sure many of you can relate. That’s why I am sharing How to Save Money when your Emergency Fund is Wiped Out! I know what it is like to have that need, so I want to help you learn how to manage!
Did you know that according to the Federal Reserve, 48% of Americans say they wouldn’t be able to come up with $400 in an emergency, and only 38% could handle an unexpected expense of $1000? We are fortunate as we had $1,500 in an emergency fund. However, spending it to repair the car put us back to ground zero. Now that our emergency fund is wiped out, we need to save money.
Are you ready for home spring cleaning? Spring starts in just a few days, and I can’t wait to deep clean my house to make it spotless and fresh, and that means I need to get my cleaning supplies ready. When choosing cleaning materials, I make sure that they are environmentally safe and non-toxic but still does its job or even work better than those chemical-laden products available in the market. Recently I discovered this new brand called Grab Green that offers amazing natural cleaning products. They have nontoxic and eco cleaning supplies line that are effective and safe for you and your family. Plus, recent scientific tests shows that Grab Green’s laundry and dishwashing pods are superior to conventional brands in removing many of today’s toughest stains and soils.
Grab Green is offering 500 FREE Home Cleaning Bundles starting March 14. All you have to do is to go to: http://www.grabgreenhome.com/homecleaningbundle/! Shipping is not free but it’s only $6.99 for 7 cleaning products so that’s a steal!
FREE Home Cleaning Bundle (7 Products):
• 3 in 1 Laundry Detergent Pods – lavender with vanilla
• 3 in 1 Laundry Detergent Pods – vetiver
• Automatic Dishwashing Detergent Pods – thyme with fig leaf
• Automatic Dishwashing Detergent Pods – tangerine with lemongrass
• Hand Soap – red pear with magnolia
• Bleach Alternative – fragrance free
• Note: Shipping not included (only $6.99)
And that’s not all we’re also giving away two sets of special Grab Green product bundle!
Please wait for the rafflecopter to load above.
Giveaway ends on March 31, 2017 at 11:59pm EST.
Grab Green PRODUCTS:
• 3in1 Laundry Detergent Pods – (24 loads per bag) – 1. Superior Detergent 2. Remarkable Stain Remover 3. Beautiful Brightener. 3 in 1 comes in four fresh fragrances (lavender with vanilla, gardenia, vetiver, fragrance free)
• NEW Stoneworks Laundry Detergent Pods (50 loads per bag) – Especially (though by no means solely) for millennials, recyclers and outdoor enthusiasts, this cost-effective and eco-responsible line features a collection of earthy fragrance profiles. Choose from 5 fragrances: Birch, Oak Tree, Rose Petal, Olive Leaf, and Rain Fragrance Free.
• Cookware & Bakeware Cleaner. No more scrubbing pots and pans! Offering ease, convenience, natural purity and robust cleaning power to home and professional chefs, cooks and bakers alike, Grab Green’s plant and mineral-based cookware and bakeware cleaners are naturally-derived and feature a non-toxic formula that’s safe and completely effective.
• Automatic Dishwashing Detergent Pods. (24 loads per bag) – Grab Green’s Pods are a powerful grease remover and will leave your dishes sparkling clean. Comes in four fragrances: Thyme with Fig Leaf, Red Pear with Magnolia, Grapefruit with Cranberry, Tangerine with Lemongrass, and Fragrance Free.
Grab Green is available nationwide in most major retailers (Ralphs, Whole Foods, and etailers (i.e. Amazon, vitacost, iherb). Check out this store locator.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post on behalf of Grab Green but all opinions expressed here are mine.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of LG. All opinions are 100% mine.
I was sitting on the sidelines at soccer, and I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but I did. I was startled by what I heard the lady next to me say. I knew her, and I knew she had kids. We live in the same neighborhood so when she said what she said it shocked me. You aren’t going to believe what happened to her. I sure didn’t.
She heard a noise and thought it was one of her sweet girls, but it wasn’t. What she saw wasn’t sweet, and it wasn’t a girl.
You see, not long ago my friend had gone to bed with her husband. They had tucked their children in with care. They had slept all night, and they awoke to get their morning coffee. It was a morning like every other the routine was the same. The alarm goes off. He hits the alarm. She tentatively gets out of bed and makes her way to the coffee pot.
She gets to the kitchen after hearing a strange noise. She finds a man. She finds a man who isn’t her husband. A man with a knife in her peanut butter jar.
She is startled this isn’t the story of Goldilocks and the three bears. This is her home, and this guy doesn’t belong. He sees her. She knows her kids and her husband are upstairs. She screams. He drops the peanut butter and runs out of the door.
What if he didn’t leave? What if he used that knife on her or had a gun. She was lucky. Her family was lucky. I was scared.
You see my husband travels for work often. I am alone some nights with the three kids in the house, and I freaked out when I heard her story. What if that happened to us? What would I do?
I didn’t sleep that night after hearing her story. I instead starting Googling for safe home security systems after I placed Legos at every door and window. Just in case someone came in, they would step on those and yell. I know, not a great plan, but it was something.
This is what I found, most required a professional installation and most required an expensive monthly service requirement. I wanted protection, but I didn’t want a huge expense because we are on a tight budget. I also wanted something that I felt was preventative. I didn’t want to walk into my home and be met with someone I didn’t invite.
I found the perfect solution in LG Smart Security.
I found a way to be able to use my smartphone (iOS or Android) to check on my house using the live feed option. I can check in with my children, the dog, and I can even ask my husband to start dinner. I also like that I can use Alexa to control some of the features.
We are on a tight budget like I said so having the ability to control lights, and the thermostat will enable us to save money. I always have in the past left on the light when I knew I was coming home at dark; now I can just turn it on before I get there.
It was so easy to start:
1) Open the box and remove the device
2) Plug it in
3) Upload the app to your phone or tablet
4) Set up account on your device
5) Accept the email to enable the device
6) Open up application and input your Wi-Fi password
Sign up for the monitoring service to receive the following benefits:
a) You can set up alerts based on your day to day activities
b) You can receive video monitoring with a recording functionality. The device allows you to review up to 7 days of videos.
C) You can control your alarm using your smart device (phone or tablet)
d) Professional monitoring seven days a week and 24 hours a day
e) There isn’t a contract for services! This an exceptional idea because you only pay when you need the service.
The system will do the following without the paid service:
a) Operates as a live camera stream
b) Emails you if the unit is moved
c) Displays the temperature of your home
d) Shows you the humidity of your home
e) Tells you if there is movement in your home
f) Allow you to control other devices using Alexa
I was thinking of other ways I would use this incredible technology. I plan to take it with me to hotels and when we stay at our time shares. I like to have the ability to check in on my room when I am not in there. It is also an exceptional option to consider if you rent because installing a standard security system is expensive and not portable. The device is portable so it would be easy to take anywhere. It would have been a lifesaver when we were in the military or college.
You can use any product that works with Z-Wave support. Users can also add contact sensors to doors and windows to provide extra security, and they can add smart outlets for programming and scheduling when the lights come on and off. LG Smart Security will be compatible with Amazon Alexa-enabled products at launch, and future software updates will include support for additional smart devices, including door locks and thermostats. I use Alexa to program my light switches and powering on and off devices.
The LG has full HD video with a 5-megapixel camera that captures 1080p pictures and offers a 130-degree view on its live video functionality. The videos are on a 24/7 live stream, and with the addition of ADT Canopy, you will receive monitoring, video storage for seven days or 30 depending on your plan, and monitoring services that will dispatch the help and protection you deserve.
You know what the difference between myself and the lady I was listening to? I have a safe home security system. I never have to worry about a stranger eating my food, damaging my property or worse. The question is what price do you put on safety?
This inexpensive, safe home security solution makes me wonder why anyone would have to deal with an uninvited guest being in their home again. I think back to my friend and the guy who was making himself breakfast in her home while her whole family slept and all I can think of is if they had the LG Smart Security system that would have never happened.