After you brew your morning coffee, what do you do with the used coffee grounds? If you said, “I throw them away”, have I got a list of uses for coffee grounds for you! Used coffee grounds can be used for many different things. Before you toss them in the trash, take a look at these unusual uses for coffee grounds that may come in handy.
Uses for Coffee Grounds
It’s a common misconception that coffee grounds are only good for making coffee and then throwing away. However, that’s not the case at all! There are actually numerous practical uses for used coffee grounds that can be highly beneficial around the house and in the garden. Let’s take a look at some of the ways you can reuse coffee grounds.
Coffee Grounds Uses for Skin
Coffee grounds for cellulite
1. Mix ½ cup of used coffee grounds with 2 tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil. Massage all over body while standing in the shower. Leave on for 10 minutes before showering. This mixture will exfoliate your skin and may also help to reduce the appearance of cellulite.
Coffee ground face scrub
2. Mix a teaspoon of used coffee grounds into your facial mask. It will exfoliate the skin and the caffeine will smooth and tighten.
3. Add a teaspoon of used coffee grounds to your conditioner for extra soft and shiny hair.
4. Mix used coffee grounds with milk to make a paste. Apply to face and leave on for 10 minutes before rinsing to help treat acne.
5. If you make homemade soap, try adding used coffee grounds to your recipe. The caffeine has great skin benefits and the grounds exfoliate dry skin.
Used Coffee Grounds for Plants
What are coffee grounds good for in the garden
6. If you have a garden, used coffee grounds are great to use as compost. Coffee grounds are an excellent addition to your compost pile. They contain nitrogen, which is essential for plant growth. Incorporating used coffee grounds into your compost can help enhance the quality of your compost and provide a rich source of nutrients for your plants.
7. For pest control: Did you know that coffee grounds can help keep pests like ants, slugs, and snails at bay? Sprinkle some used coffee grounds around the perimeter of your garden or in areas where you spot pests. The caffeine in coffee is toxic to insects and can help repel them.
Used Coffee Grounds for Cleaning
Do coffee grounds clean drains
8. Pour used coffee grounds down the sink or bathtub drain, followed by 3 drops of dish soap and a pot of boiling water. This will clean and clear the drain of clogs and built up grease.
9. Use used coffee grounds with dish soap to scrub a greasy pan. Instead of using harsh chemicals, try using coffee grounds as a natural abrasive to clean pots, pans, and other kitchen items.
10. Run water and garbage disposal at the same time, add 1 teaspoon of used coffee grounds to the disposal to sharpen the blades.
Other Uses for Coffee Grounds
11. Odor control: Got a stinky fridge or freezer? No problem! Just place a bowl of used coffee grounds in your fridge or freezer to absorb unwanted odors. It’s a simple and effective solution.
12. After chopping fresh garlic, rub your hands with used coffee grounds to get the garlicky smell off your fingers.
13. When you give your dog a bath, add a tablespoon of used coffee grounds to the shampoo to help repel fleas.
14. Used coffee grounds with a teaspoon of vinegar and a cup of water can be used to dye eggs.
15. When choosing a perfume or scented candle, sniff used coffee grounds in between fragrances to keep everything from beginning to smell the same.
Where to Get Used Coffee Grounds
You can go to your local Starbucks and ask for their used coffee grounds. They give it away for free on a first come first serve basis. You can also try to ask your local coffee shops.
GIFT IDEAS FOR COFFEE LOVERS
Most of us can’t start the day without a cup of coffee, but who knew that the used grounds could come in handy for so many different things? Don’t just toss them in the trash – give them a second life by using them in one of these creative ways!
I hope you try some of these uses for coffee grounds and let me know what you think!
Do you know of other Uses for Coffee Grounds? Share it with us below.
Also try our yummy coffee recipes:
Also check out my 101 Uses for Baking Soda
Cook, Baker, Phototaker, Fitness Mover and Shaker, Cupcake Tester, Deal Maker, Adventurous Undertaker, Do Good “Deeder”, Teacher, Mom, Wife, Patriot for Life & Giver of Good Advice – RealAdviceGal