Don’t Let Your Milk go to Waste with these 10 Uses of Milk
Milk is great for drinking, cereal, and many recipes often call for milk but it is more versatile than all of those. Don’t waste your milk and take advantage of its many great benefits with these 10 Uses of Milk.
10 Uses of Milk
1. Thaw frozen fish or scallops in a milk bath. The milk helps bring flavor and freshness back into the fish or scallops. Place frozen fish in a bowl of milk for 24 hours in the refrigerator. Remove and cook as normal.
2. Relieve the heat in your mouth from spicy food. Milk has casein that binds with the capsaicin oil found in spicy foods. It neutralizes the heat and and leaves your mouth cooled off.
3. Soothe itchy, irritated skin naturally. Sponge milk on irritated skin with a clean washrag or sponge. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and rinse off with cool water. Create a paste with 1 part powdered milk and 2 parts water to ease bug bites and stings. You can also combine powdered milk with ground oatmeal, corn starch or baking soda and put in a lukewarm bathe to control total body itchiness from chicken pox.
4. Safely scrub your hands clean of dirt and grime. When regular hand soap is not strong enough make a paste with oatmeal and milk. Scrub and rinse off with warm water. Add a bit of lemon juice to the mix if fighting caked on grease. It won’t leave your hands dry or irritated like most commercial hand cleaners.
5. Help swallow large or irritating pills. When swallowing pills with milk your throat is coated so it makes it easier for the pill to slide down. It will also coat your stomach and help protect it while the medication breaks down. Make sure to check all prescriptions to make sure that there is not an reactions to your medication with milk.
6. Gentle Make-up Remover. Combine powdered milk with water and use a soft cloth or cotton ball to apply to face and remove makeup. It also works as a natural moisturizer to help maintain the balance of your skin.
7. Soften Skin. Add a 1/2 cup of powdered milk to a bath as it fills. Enjoy your soak and emerge with softer skin.
8. Increase the Flavor of Corn on the Cob. Add 1/4 cup powdered milk to the boiling pot of water before you put in the corn. It will boost the delicious flavor without extra work.
9. Clean and Freshen Patent Leather. With a clean rag or a sponge dab on milk to patent leather and let dry. Buff with a clean, dry, soft cloth to shine. Use milk on a Q-tip to remove scuff marks.
10. Repair Fine China. Don’t throw that piece of fine china away without trying this little trick. The protein in the milk bonds with the clay of the china to create a permanent bond. Place the piece in a big pot and cover with milk. Simmer over low heat for 45 minutes. Allow to cool and rinse clean.
Share with us your Uses of Milk by leaving a comment below.
Keep Shelf Safe Milk on hand for these uses of milk if you don’t have Fresh Milk on hand.
Make these cute Milk Jug Ghosts with your empty Milk Jugs.
Make something Tasty with Milk. Create a Easy Smoothie.
Topic: Uses of Milk