Crazy Cake – A Vegan Kids Recipe
Looking for allergy-friendly or vegan kids recipes? Look no further.
I didn’t set out to make a vegan cake. My kids and I were all set to make a banana cake, when I discovered that I was completely out of eggs! I began searching for other cake recipes, and it seemed like everything I found required eggs or egg substitute, which I didn’t have either. So then I started researching other substitutes for recipes, and that’s when I came across something called Crazy Cake.
Allergy-Friendly and Vegan Kids Recipes
Crazy Cake (also called Wacky Cake) is a moist chocolate cake that is made without eggs, butter, or milk. This type of cake was developed during the Great Depression when eggs, butter, and milk were scarce and hard to come by – that’s why it’s also sometimes called Depression Cake. The ingredients are mixed right in the baking pan – so no bowls or mixers either! Could something so simple really taste good?
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix first 5 dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, and salt) in a greased 8" square baking pan.
- Make 3 depressions in dry ingredients - two small, one larger (we made a smiley face).
- Pour vinegar in one of the smaller depressions.
- Pour vanilla in the other small depression.
- Pour vegetable oil in third larger depression
- Pour water over all entire mixture.
- Mix well until smooth.
- Bake on middle rack of oven for about 35 minutes.
- Check with toothpick to make sure it comes out clean.
- Let cool before serving.
The results are in…and this recipe is fantastic! It’s soft, moist, and chocolatey. I served it with just a sprinkling of powdered sugar on top, but it would taste great plain or with frosting, too. It’s easy, quick, and can be made with ingredients that you are almost certain to have in your pantry. Plus it’s allergy-friendly and vegan. Can’t beat it!