Squash Soup Recipe
I had been drinking a v8 each day but then in an effort to drink and eat less processed items I decided to use more local fresh vegetables. I have tried juicing but have not found many recipes that I like with ingredients that I can easily obtain. There are certain vegetables that seem to produce prolifically around here. One is squash. It also gets really big quickly so if you miss one under the large leaves you may end up with a very large tough squash. This Squash Soup recipe was created to use ALOT of squash, including some of those large tough ones as well as a quick source of many servings of vegetables. When looking around the kitchen I saw lots of squash, some new onion bulbs and a bell pepper…thus into the pot they went!
As I have served this for company, church members, family and friends, I have been shocked at how MANY people love this recipe. It is very simple and can be served with quite a bit of diversity by simply having bowls of various cheeses on the table.
Squash Soup Recipe
- 9 small or medium squash
- 1 large or 2 small onions
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Cut and steam 9 small or medium squash, 1 large or 2 small onion(s), and 1 medium bell pepper with 2 1/2 cups water till soft. (The larger the vegetable pieces the longer it will take to make them soft all the way through. )
- Allow to cool, blend.
- Varied tastes and concerns in my family lead to many variations after this initial soup making. Some family members diet so they use Laughing Cow Swiss cheese. Others prefer cheddar cheese, some like pepper jack, use whatever cheese you prefer!
- Also, I do NOT add salt and or pepper but a lady in our church adds 'Slap yo Mama' seasoning (a seasoning similar to Tony's or seasoning salt.)
- I have tried freezing the already made soup. While it was still good it was acceptable it was not nearly as good as the freshly made variety.
Thanks to Rachel Case for sharing this squash soup recipe!
Do you have recipes, crafts or posts to share? MadameDeals is Hiring check out our JOBS Board to apply or if you have fun ideas send us your pitch.
We have lots of yummy Recipes for you to experiment and try in the kitchen.
Here are some of our soup recipes:
If you have kids get them into the kitchen with our Recipes Kids Can Make!