Free Yourself from Cable and save big!
Spring is approaching faster than I would like but it is not the weather I dread but the Spring Cleaning. I always make my list of things I need to do and it seems to be Fall before I get them all done. This year I have decided to take a different approach to Spring Cleaning and will not be focusing on my house but my checkbook.
I am very detailed when it comes to our monthly financials. I know when everything is due, how much is due, what check it comes out of and how much is budgeted for that expense. Most people would say I am good to go BUT there is a lot of fat I could trim. The one area I am always drawn to is our ATT Uverse Bill. We have had cable and satellite over the years and to be honest for 5 TVs, Internet, and Home Phone ATT Uverse has been our cheapest option. They actually lowered my bill in the fall because I asked.
I just hate paying for something that is not a necessity. I think if most people were to be honest with themselves they would admit that cable is not a necessity. We have been lured into thinking that it is. I grew up most of my childhood without a TV in the house and survived. I actually developed a great love of books that a lot of kids my age did not have. I am not suggesting you give up TV all together but instead follow my tips to Free Yourself from Cable. In the end you will have extra money in your pocket and be able to tell others how you were able to Free Yourself from Cable.
Why to Free Yourself From Cable:
- You will find more hours in your day because you won’t be tied to your television.
- You will have more time to spend with your family.
- You will lose weight because you won’t be mindlessly eating in front of the TV. You will be up and moving instead.
- You will Save over $1,000 a year. That is enough to take a family vacation or pay off some debt without cutting back in other areas.
Even if the first 3 reasons aren’t important to you the fact that you can save over $1,000 should make you stop and consider if you should Free Yourself from Cable and Satellite.
How to Free Yourself from Cable (with minimum suffering)
- Explore the options available before you cancel. **I will list the current options below**
- Warning: Don’t go Cold Turkey because you will end up going back.
- Realize that there is life after TV. I have 90 shows on my DVR right now that I haven’t watched. Obviously it is not life or death to watch them or they wouldn’t be sitting there waiting.
- Decide on the option(s) you are going to go with.
- Sit your family down and explain to them that you going on a mission as a family. Your family mission is going to be to Free Yourself From Cable. Promise a surprise for the family member who doesn’t complain or make a goal for what you are going to do with the money you save. Kids and husbands are motivated by money.
- Take action on the option you selected. Have it in place and all the kinks worked out.
- Cancel your cable and/or satellite.
- Enjoy knowing that you were able to Free Yourself from Cable and Satellite.
Options when you Free Yourself from Cable
- Netflix Streaming and DVD Rental Service – starts at $7.99 month.
- Redbox Instant Streaming (enjoy 4 free DVD rentals a month and unlimited movie streaming for only $8) (FREE TRIAL)
- Amazon Prime Membership – allows you to watch hundreds of TV Shows and Movies for Free. (Annual Membership is only $79 and you can get a 1 month Free Trial)
- Hulu-a free service online but not all shows are current episodes and you have to watch commercials
- Hulu Plus -offers current TV shows for $7.99 a month but you still have to watch commercials ( Free Trial)
- Blockbuster DVD Rental – plans starting at $4.99 (1/2 price for the 1st 2 months)
- TV Network Websites-stream your favorite shows right from the networks website.(you may have to wait a week or two but you will be able to watch them for free.)
Alternatives when you Free Yourself from Cable
Attach your Gaming System to your TV and the Internet
This will allow you to do any of the above options on your TV when you Free Yourself from Cable.
Gaming Systems with this capability include: Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3 and XBox 360.
Purchase a Roku HD Box.
Roku HD streams 600+ channels to any TV easily and wirelessly, all at an amazing price. Features 720p HD video quality and one-stop search.
Get an antenna and a digital converter box to hook up to your TV for local channels.
***Before you switch be sure to make sure you have an adequate internet speed and that there is no monthly limit on how much data you can use. Most home internet companies do not limit the data usage.***
Topic: Free Yourself From Cable