Snack Popcorn Cake
Wonderful pick up snack for children and a great party food that is reminiscent of rice krispy treats.
A unique dessert or snack that is sure to get compliments.
Cooking for Kids – Snack Popcorn cake can be used for any occasion!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup oil
- 16 oz. bag of marshmallows
- 5 qts. popped popcorn
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 24 oz. small gumdrops
- Melt the oil, butter and marshmallows in a large pot on the stove- or in a microwave safe container.
- While butter and marshmallows are melting, measure and mix the rest of the ingredients: popcorn, peanuts and gumdrops. Grease a bundt cake pan.
- Carefully pour the hot liquid over the other mixture and stir well.
- Without delay put the mixture in the cake pan. The mixture must be pressed down to alleviate air bubbles.
- Refrigerate for 5 hours or overnight.
- Allow the cake to sit at room temperature for a few minutes before using a knife to release the sides and flipping the cake over. Slice and serve.
- Tips or variations:
- If you are looking for a corn free healthier version try using Fiber one cereal in place of the popcorn, substitute almonds for the peanuts and use your choice of oil.
- I do not recommend all extra virgin olive oil but have used coconut oil in place of part of the butter!
- We use hot air popped popcorn to cut back on the fat.
- If you would rather a different shape end result, feel free to experiment with other cooling 'positions". For example, if you want "drop cookies' you can drop the mixture by the spoonful on to a tray to cool. You can also flatten the mixture in a 9x13 for square pieces or flatten on a cookie tray for more bar like pieces.
- If you get the large gumdrops you can cut them to make their flavor (and color) be better dispersed throughout the cake.
- If you are in a hurry to unmold your cake then set the bottom of the pan in hot water for a couple of minutes.
- We use an electric knife to cut the cake slices.
- Use specific colored gumdrops for the holiday. Fall- orange, yelllow, white Thanksgiving- orange, yellow, white, green Christmas-red, green, white St. Patricks-green, white Spring- all colors
Check out more Kids Snack Recipes:
Find out what we eat >>> Weekly MadameDeals Menu Plan