Recipes for Snacks for Kids - Dessert Brownie Mix in a Jar Recipe
This Cooking With Kids- Dessert Brownie Mix in a Jar recipe is easily made ahead for a quick fix dessert or presented in a wide mouth quart jar for a great gift!
Making your own Brownie Mix in a Jar (or ziploc) is much less expensive than buying a ready made mix. When making the gift or ready mix this recipe is considered a Cooking With Kids- How to recipe level 1 a. However, when making the recipe due to the heat the recipe is considered a level 3a.
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups flour mixed with 1 tsp. baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt
- optional: 1/2 cup chopped pecans see allergy note
- Layer ingredients in a 1 quart wide mouth canning jar. Be sure to press each layer firmly. If you do not press the layers down there will not be enough room for the flour. Wipe out the inside of the jar with a dry paper towel after you add the cocoa to remove smears from the glass.
- Empty contents of jar into a large mixing bowl. Blend well. Add 1 1/2 sticks melted butter or margarine and 4 slightly beaten eggs. Mix completely. Spread in a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Makes 2 dozen brownies.
- For wide mouth jar gift presentation: Place the label over any smears or bumps in the layers to cover the little mistakes (as seen in the picture!) Use pinking shears to cut out a circle of patterned fabric. The fabric may be coordinated with the reason for the gift (red or green for Christmas.) Place the center of the fabric on the center of the lid then put the ring on top to secure the fabric. Ribbon or twine can be use to decorate the ring. A small card can be attached the ribbon.
- If making the dry mix for home use later, simply dump the ingredients in a ziploc!
- The pecans are optional. If you are not including them do not press the other ingredients as much so that you will not have extra space. If you do include them you can put them in a sandwich bag so the user can easily omit them if desired. Alternatively, if you are allergic to nuts feel free to try almonds or flaxseeds.
Brownie mix in a jar can be used for many occasions and celebrations! For a fall topping place candy corn on top of the brownies 10 minutes before the end of the baking time. After removing the pan from the oven you can leave the bright colors or swirl with a knife for a more marbled look. I think the marbled look appears more like the changing of the leaves color than the very bright candy corn colors.
Another fall topping would be to cut up the Milky Way Caramel Apple candy bars and place them on top of the brownies before cooking.
You can buy these Milk Way Caramel Apple candy bars in bulk, freeze and have these treats later in the year!