Like Almond Joy or Mounds but hate to pay full – or even sale/ coupon prices!? Make them at home! You can make big bars, small bites..you decide!
Recipes for Snacks for Kids: Chocolate Candy Recipe
- 5 fl. oz. condensed milk (NOT the full can)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 14 ounces shredded sweetened coconut
- 24 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup whole toasted almonds
- Place aluminum foil in a 9x13 pan and spray or butter it.
- I recommend laying out your ingredients in the order they will go into the bowl so that they will be mixed easier. The milk, salt, vanilla and powdered sugar should be well mixed before the coconut is added.
- Once well mixed press the mixture into the prepared 9x13. If you want to make balls you may do so at this time.
- Place almonds at regular intervals on the mixture and press slightly into the candy.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour- till the candy is firm.
- Slice the candy into the shape you would like for your final product.
- Microwave the chocolate and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl until melted, stirring every minute.
- Use dipping tools or two forks to immerse the coconut shapes completely in the chocolate. As you bring it back up scrape it against the container to remove extra chocolate. Place on a foil lined baking tray.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is set then ENJOY!
- If you are concerned with self control, the candy can be frozen in small portions!
- *Light condensed milk is super easy and inexpensive to make. I keep basic ingredients on hand but don't always have canned milk or want to run to the store.
- DIssolve 1 cup Equal (nutrasweet or other sweetener) in 3/4 cup warm water then add 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons nonfat dry skim milk and blend. This recipe makes 14 ounces or the equivalent of one can.
Thanks to Rachel for this candy recipe! Find more Kids Snack Recipes Here are some other candy recipes: