Recipes for Snacks for Kids: Homemade Candy Bars Recipe
Recipes for Snacks for Kids: Homemade Candy Recipe
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups oats
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (optional)
- Mix together peanut butter, honey, coconut oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Continue to stir till the chips are melted. Spread into a greased 9x13 pan. Refrigerate until hardened.
- Slice and serve! You can make these as small or large as you like, any shape you can cut!
- I sliced several and put them in a container in the freezer. My husband likes to defrost one each afternoon by putting it in the microwave for just a few seconds. I like them frozen. They do not freeze hard.
- Variations and Tips:
- If you are allergic to peanut butter feel free to substitute Sun (sunflower seed) butter or almond butter. If you prefer the flavor of cashews use cashew butter. Use the sweetener of your choice- in your nut butter as well as the recipe. Agave and other liquid/ syrup (such as cane syrup) sweeteners can be substituted with the same measurements.
- Omit the chocolate chips if you dont want a chocolate bar. The bars pictured were made by heating the first ingredients then simply putting the mixture in the 9x13. I only wanted 1/2 to have chocolate so I placed the chocolate chips on the top of the warm mixture in the casserole and then smeared it across once they were melted.
- Try dark chocolate chips and dried cranberries!
- Opportunities for child help:
- A child can help measure, spread the mixture in the casserole, and or pour in chocolate chips. Certainly don't forget that a child would love to help get the 'bars' out of the 9x13 - and eat any little bits that may fall off!
Thanks to Rachel for this candy recipe! Find more Kids Snack Recipes Here are some other candy recipes: