I try every week to add a new meal to our menu. I attempt to follow the food guru and 30 minute meal making queen, Rachel Ray. The best part of my quest is I use items that I bought on sale so these meals are yummy and affordable… an oh, yes they can be completed in 30 minutes or less!
I need to clear out some of my veggie stockpile and I came across this recipe. We are HUGE soup fans!
Three Bean Pasta e Fagioli
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 ribs celery from the heart, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 stems fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can cannellini beans (15 ounces )
- 1 can chick peas (15 ounces )
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup mini penne with lines or ditalini
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into thirds on an angle
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- A handful fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Grated Romano cheese, for topping
if you really want to save some cash use a bouillon cube instead of buying already made chicken stock.
Like I keep saying double the recipe and freeze this flat LEAVE OUT the PASTA. Just cool your soup. Place it in a freezer bag and lay it flat in your freezer. This will make a meal when you forgot to plan dinner!
While you are cutting up the veggies you could easily throw in some left over chicken from the previous night to give this soup a whole new taste. I like to make my roasted chicken and use the leftovers in this soup. I make one dinner with the chicken and I freeze one without. I am sure you could throw in some beef too. I believe that time is money and if I can create a huge pot of soup and make it into 3 diverse meals I have saved time and money!