I try every week to add a new meal to our menu. I attempt to follow the food guru and 30 minute meal making queen, Rachael Ray. The best part of my quest is I use items that I bought on sale so these meals are yummy and affordable… and oh, yes they can be completed in 30 minutes or less!
My kids love Mac and Cheese and I have been buying it already made from Sam’s club for $7.50. I can get two meals out of it so it has been a super time saver. The problem is I haven’t been able to find it for a couple of weeks.I guess I am going to have to make my own. I found this recipe because my son loves Broccoli but hates chicken. I am going to try to sneak some chicken in. I never thought that motherhood involved disguising food. Renae and I were talking last night it seems as parents we are not always honest about food. I mean when my kids say is this___ and I know they like ___ I usually do not respond or I agree. I know horrible ha? I have to say Matthew is the easiest kid except for when it comes to what he is going to eat. The omission this week got him to eat ham on his pizza. It is another form of bacon right? I am not alone in the battle to get my children to eat new foods am I?
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 pound macaroni elbows or cavatappi corkscrew shaped pasta twists
- 2 1/2 cups raw broccoli florets, available packaged in produce department
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups yellow sharp Cheddar
- 1 tablespoon prepared Dijon mustard