I try every week to add a new meal to our menu. I attempt to follow the food guru and 30 minute meal making queen, Rachael Ray. The best part of my quest is I use items that I bought on sale so these meals are yummy and affordable… and oh, yes they can be completed in 30 minutes or less!
This week we went to the Farmer’s Market. I banked on the fact that I would find all these wonderful veggies to make dinner with. I was disappointed. We did find Asparagus so I had to find a way to cook it and make dinner quickly with items I had on hand. I thought about just wrapping it in bacon like Renae suggested but I knew my husband would not buy into bacon and Asparagus only for dinner. It would have been an easy sell to the children and myself. This is a great dish that was easy and it uses items that are probably sitting in your cabinet. We look forward to eating it again soon.
photo Robert Hagen
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 pound spaghetti
- 1 bunch asparagus, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and cheese. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until al dente, adding the asparagus during the last minute of cooking. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Add the hot pasta and asparagus to egg mixture; toss to coat.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, stir in the garlic. Add the wine and cook until slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Stir the bacon mixture into the pasta, adding enough of the reserved pasta water to moisten; season with salt and pepper.