Natural ways to get rid of the Flu
It’s almost that time of year again, Flu season. For some reason, Flu season came early in our house. Me and my little girl both have the flu. Who gets the flu in August!? When the doctor gave us the news I started looking for Natural ways to get rid of the Flu that would help us get over it as quickly as possible, so I thought I would share the tips that I found to work with you!
Here are the best tips I found for Natural ways to get rid of the Flu!
- Keep yourself cool! That cute little sick girl in the photo above is my Jaiden, and that thing on her head is called a “BeKool” pack. It is a no-drug cooling pack that she can stick right on her forehead to help with fevers! I love that it is drug free and sticks really well, no more trying to hold an ice pack on your head!
- Get your rest! I know this is a tip you probably hear often, but it is probably the #1 way to help with any sickness.When you are resting your body has time to fight any infection and help you get better, sooner.
- Drink hot drinks! Hot drinks not only sooth irritation in your throat, but they will also relieve nasal congestion and keep you hydrated. Hot tea or water with some lemon juice and honey is a sick persons best friend!
- Take a steamy shower! Steam is great for moisturizing your nasal passages, and the hot water can sooth aches and pains that often come with the flu.
- Blow your nose gently and often! Blowing your nose is better then sniffling, which will just send that mucus right back into your head. But it is important to note to blow your nose gently! Blowing your nose to hard can make you dizzy and cause an earache. The best way to blow your nose is to plug one side and blow gently, and do the same on the other side. (Make sure to wash your hands often after blowing your nose!)
- Eat chicken soup! No eating chicken soup is not just something that is comforting while your sick, it has been medically proven to help with colds and the flu. It’s anti-inflammatory properties can help relieve the congestion associated with the Flu.
- Drink some OJ! Or anything else containing Vitamin C. Vitamin C has an antioxidant that not only helps prevent infections, but helps fight them when you get one, so drink up!
- Gargle Salt Water! Gargling is a great way to sooth a sore throat or coughing. Mix 1 tsp salt with 1 glass of warm water and gargle several times a day.
- Take a Detox Bath! Going back to steam being great for your stuffy nose, take it one step further by making a “detox bath” All you need for this is 2 cups of Epsom salt, 1 cup of baking soda, and some ginger root! Make your bath water as hot as you can stand it and pour all the above ingredients into the bath and soak for 40 mins. This will help detoxify your body and help you get rid of the flu sooner. (Note: I did this last night and feel at least 50% better than I did yesterday!)
- Eat some Garlic! Garlic naturally has a lot of antibiotic and antiviral properties and it can really help lessen the severity and time of an illness. I personally don’t mind the taste of garlic so I can pop a piece in my mouth and suck on it. But if you don’t like it as much as me, chew it up as quick as you can and swallow.
- Apple Cider Vinegar! Yep, apple cider vinegar is good for yet something else! A tsp in warm water gargled can help with a sore throat, and studies show it’s also great for killing viruses.
Looking for some other tips for your health? Check these out:
- 20 of the best foods for weight loss
- 25 foods that will help you look good naked
- How to cure a sore throat naturally
Topic: Natural ways to get rid of the flu