Natural ways to get rid of spiders
I don’t know about you, but I HATE spiders, so anytime I find new natural ways to get rid of spiders I like to share them with people! I know people say spiders are good for the environment and what not, and frankly, I don’t care. If they are in my house they are dead. They turn me into a 2 year old crying for my mom (until I realize that she doesn’t live here) and spraying the crap out of it with whatever happens to be near me. So I thought I would put together a list of the best methods that I have found of natural ways to get rid of spiders.
So here are my top 10 natural ways to get rid of spiders:
1. Get rid of cardboard boxes! Spiders LOVE cardboard boxes. Cardboard boxes are cool, dark, and perfect for laying disgusting spider eggs. If you have cardboard boxes laying around, I bet you have spiders hanging out in or around them. Throw em out!
2. Turn out the porch light! Spiders (and other creepy crawlies) are attracted to porch lights. We keep the porch light on for my husband (who works nights) and I always see (literally) like 10 or more spiders hanging out around my porch lamp. So if you don’t have to have a porch light on, don’t! And if you do….
3. Sweep away the webs! If you destroy the spiders home, they are likely to move on. Make sure to use a broom along the top of the ceiling, esp. in corners and cracks. When you are doing this, make sure a spider isn’t chilling in the web, unless you want to run screaming when it jumps on you.
4. Essential Oils. Essential oils are great for all kinds of insects, and spiders! There are a couple of different ways you can use them. Peppermint oil was worked the best for me, but you can also use eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, neem oil and rose oil. First, you can soak cotton balls with the essential oils and place them around windows, doors, and corners of the house (this is not a good idea with small children and animals, it poses a choking hazard). Another option is to add about 20-30 drops in 1 quart of water and put the mix in a spray bottle. Spray the exterior of your home about once a week and it will kill the spiders you already have, an help keep new ones away.
5.Dust with lemon pledge. Did you know that a spiders taste buds are on it’s legs? Yep, and do you know what they hate? The taste of lemon pledge. dust your window sills and doorframes with pledge often, and it will help keep spiders away!
6. Glue traps. You know the ones that you use for other bugs? Yep, they work for spiders too. Put them under your bed, in dark corners, and near doors and windows.
7. Get a cat! If you are an animal lover, a cute little cat is a great way to keep spiders at bay. Cats love to pounce on things that crawl. If they see em’ they will eat em’.
8. Keep wood piles away from your homes exterior, and keep shrubs trimmed. Spiders love all things wood. So if you have firewood, store it away from your homes exterior, and make sure to check the wood before bringing into your house. Also keep shrubs lining your home trimmed.
9. Keeping clothing and shoes off the floor! Spiders love hanging out on dark places, including that pile of clothes on your bedroom floor, and your favorite pair of flats. Get a laundry hamper and a shoe rack, and thank me later.
10. Keep your curtains closed at night. Spiders are attracted to light, so when it is night time and you have your curtains opened, it’s like the gates of heaven opened for spiders. Keep your curtains closed and they won’t try to “walk into the light!”
So there you have it! My top 10 natural ways to get rid of spiders! Have any to add? Post them in the comments below!
Looking for some more tips like this article on natural ways to get rid of spiders? Check these out:
- Tips to Lower a Child’s High Cholesterol
- Tips for Running in Hot Weather
- How to take better pictures with your phone
Topic: natural ways to get rid of spiders