Low Calorie French Onion Soup Recipe
If you are looking for a super easy, super yummy recipe for dinner, you will love this Low Calorie French Onion Soup Recipe! I love the traditional version of this recipe but it can add up on calories very quickly! This soup is easy to make and only takes about 30 minutes. I love French Onion Soup because it’s light enough to have in the summer, but filling enough to make you nice and warm in the winter! Even my little girl loves it! (As long as I take the big chunks of onions out of her bowl ha!)
Here is how to make this Low Calorie French Onion Soup Recipe:
- 3 cans low sodium beef broth
- 4 chopped onions
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup red cooking wine
- 1 bar leaf
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- Spray a large cooking pot with olive oil. Add you chopped onions to the pot and toss lightly.
- Cook onions on med/high heat for about 6-8 mins. or until the onions start to brown, make sure to stir often!
- Add garlic, bay leaf, and thyme to your onions and cook uncovered, making sure to stir often, until starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in your red wine, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper; turn the heat up a bit and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add your broth and being it to a boil. Reduce your heat to a simmer and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Toast your bread and add your cheese on top, toast until your cheese becomes bubbly.
- Add your toast to the bottom of a bowl and pour your hot soup on top, serve warm.
Bonus, this Low Calorie French Onion Soup will make your house smell amazing! And it’s a pretty easy clean up! This is also a recipe you can make ahead and freeze for a later date!
Looking for more recipes like this Low Calorie French Onion Soup Recipe? Try these:
Topic: Low Calorie French Onion Soup Recipe