Granola is one of the most expensive cereals! It can be really good for you: low fat, mildly sweet, with fruit and nuts, gluten free, high fiber OR it can be loaded with sugar and processed ingredients. With this basic homemade granola recipe you minimize the cost and determine what version you want based on your dietary restrictions and needs!
Kid Cereal and Oatmeal Recipes: Homemade Granola
- Mix the following ingredients in a saucepan and heat until sugar dissolves.
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup concentrated apple juice (frozen in can, defrosted)
- 1/2 cup powdered dry milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Combine these dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- 1/2 cup dried fruit
- 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 4 cups steel cut oats
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon
- optional ingredients: sunflower seeds, peanuts, coconut, cereal, pecans, sesame seeds, chocolate chips, cacoa nibs
- Pour sugar mixture slowly over dry mixture and stir well.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- I have found that I forget the last 10 minutes and let it toast too long so I now cook at 325 for 10 min. and then leave the tray in the oven with the oven OFF until all cools.
- As you remove the granola from the cookie tray you may have to break up some of the pieces.
- Use whatever you need to for your diet, just try to keep the ratio of liquids to dry ingredients the same. So, if you have a child allergic to peanut butter but can use almond butter, then do so.
- If you avoid brown sugar then use your preferred sugar substitute.
- Don't use olive oil? then add coconut or butter or whatever your choice is!
- If you prefer orange juice concentrate to apple juice concentrate then use it. We love dried cranberries with the orange juice concentrate and raisins with the apple juice concentrate.
Thanks to Rachel for this homemade granola recipe!
Find more Breakfast Recipes for Kids
Make sure to visit our Recipes Kids Can Make page for more yummy and easy to make recipes that kids will love to eat and make!
Don’t forget to also check out our other Recipes!