How to Buy New Car
I was 20 years old when I went to buy my first new car. I lost my used car due to an auto accident and decided that I was going to get a new vehicle instead of another used vehicle. I took my dad with me because of all the stories I had heard about women being ripped off when buying a car. Although he was with me, he let me handle all the negotiations and after successfully negotiating a deal I was happy with, I was hooked. It would be several years before I would purchase a new car and this time I was married and had 2 kids. Most women would have gladly handed over the car buying to their spouse but I handle the finances and knew what our budget was. He gladly let me handle the negotiations and now when we go car shopping it is my job. We both laugh when people try to talk to him and ignore me. Over the years I have found these 5 tips on How to Buy New Car help negotiate the best deal without giving yourself a migraine in the process.
Top 5 Tips on How to Buy New Car
- Before going to the dealership, check your finances and decide how much you can afford to spend, what type of vehicle you are looking to get, and what are your basic needs. (If you are going to lease make sure you plan for how many miles do you need each year.)
- Go shopping at the end of the month, sales people are more motivated to make a deal because they only have a few days left to meet sales goals and receive bonuses.
- Never tell the sales person your full amount you can afford. Save some room for negotiation and additional add-ons including the following: Credit Life and Disability Insurance, Gap Insurance, Extended Warranty, etc. Don’t purchase things you do not need. An example is Fabric Protection will set you back a few hundred dollars but you can easily do it yourself by purchasing a can of Scotch Guard for around $12.
- Read thru all the papers and ask for clarification of any items or fees you do not understand. Sometimes they will try to sneak hidden fees in so don’t be afraid to speak up.
- The most important tip to remember is – Don’t be afraid to walk away. If something doesn’t feel right or you are not comfortable with their offer say so and go elsewhere.
What are your tips to successfully purchasing a car?
Share your tips on How to Buy New Car below.
Check out our other Tuesday Tips
Find out How to Save on Home Repairs.
Topic: How to Buy New Car