Well, our Holiday from the Heart posts are coming to a close. We truly hope you enjoy this next week with your family and friends! If you are still in need of last minute gift idea, take a look at this easy homemade gifts!
Thanks to A Thrifty Mom for sharing her recipe for homemade Chewy Candy Cane Chex Mix! I know many of you have most of the ingredients on hand…especially the cereal! The great thing about this recipe is that it can be adapted to what you have on hand or your likes/dislikes!
For full step by step instructions with pictures, head on over to A Thrifty Mom!
Chewy Candy Cane Chex Mix
- 16 cups of dry cereal ( chex, cinnamon toast crunch, life, or what ever you want)
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds ( I use sun flower seeds instead, so my friends with nut allergies can eat it too)
- 2 cups pretzels
- (Sprinkles for the top is you want to ad them at the end)
Sauce you will need:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Light Karo syrup
- 3/4 cup butter ( 1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup chopped candy cane dust ( click here to see easy way to make); if you are not a peppermint fan, substitute M&Ms
In large bowl, mix together, cereal, coconut, nuts or seeds, and pretzels. Set aside to make sauce. In a medium sauce pan add, sugar, butter and Karo. Over MEDIUM heat slowing melt butter and blend ingredients together. Stir while heating. Once it comes to a boil cook for 2 minutes….( set a timer, if it cooks longer it will be too hard, if it does not cook longer enough it will be too soft) Once it has cooked at a full boil for 2 min take off heat.
Sprinkle in the chopped candy canes ( I dumped it in so I could take the picture and then it was a big ball…and hard to work with, not a good idea). As you sprinkle in the candy cane, wisk to prevent big lumps. Pour over the top of cereal mixture in bowl, stir till all cereal is well coated. Then pour out on a greased cookie sheet, and top with sprinkles if you want. Let cool, store in zip lock bag, enjoy!