We LOVE fruit chews but hate all the additives and the expense of them….so when we bought a case of peaches we decided to try Peach leather. What a wonderful, delicious, easy snack!!!
Ever have bunches of fruit and want to make fruit leather? Think you have to use a dehydrator or other special equipment? If you have a blender and an oven you can make this great snack.
What is fruit leather?
Fruit leathers are tasty and chewy dried fruits or also called homemade fruit rolls. Fruits are dried by removing water content through sun drying, or by using dehydrators. Another method is by drying in puree form, which is what I will show you in this recipe.
Healthy Snacks Recipes for Kids: Peach Leather
- 8 peaches
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- Make the fruit puree. The recipe said you can use a blender or food processor. I found this great food mill in my father's attic and use it every opportunity I can so it is how I made the fruit puree.
- We used 8 peaches and 2 tablespoons of honey. You can use your preferred sweetener. Most new appliances (food processors and or blenders ) do not run if they are not fully put together thus making them quite safe to work with around supervised children.
- Once your puree is made simply pour the mixture on a large cookie tray that has been covered with parchment paper.
- Cook the fruit leather in the oven at 225 for 2-4 hours depending on the depth of the mixture in your cookie tray. Our fruit leather filled a 15x13 cookie tray and took 3 hours. The recipe I used said the leather was ready once the sides were slightly brown and a bit crispy.
- Cut the leather into long strips and then roll them up. We used a pizza cutter.
- The recipe claimed that the crispy parts would get softer as it set out and cooled...hmmm we didn't get to find out due to too many hands claiming "a taste"!! Maybe next time I can find out if the crispy parts get softer. Meanwhile this is a recipe I will certainly hold on to and try with other fruits!
Thanks to Rachel for this Peach Leather recipe!
Find more Kids Snack Recipes
Check out some of our Peach recipes:
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Peaches Recipe
- Homemade Canned Peach Butter
- Peaches with Mascarpone Recipe
Make sure to visit our Recipes Kids Can Make page for more yummy and easy to make recipes that kids will love to eat and make!
Don’t forget to also check out our other Recipes!