Gifts In Jars: Oatmeal Spice Cookie Mix is a repeat request among my friends for Christmas gifts!
This Gifts In Jars can be stored for later use – up to 3 months after the holidays.
Layer ingredients in the order given in a 1 quart WIDE mouth canning jar. It will be a tight fit, make sure you pack each layer firmly before adding the flour mixture. As you pack each layer down make sure you are doing so evenly around the jar. After each layer, brush down any crumbs from the inside of the jar.
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup raisins* see variations
- 2 cups rolled oats
- For the top layer mix:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Be sure to wipe crumbs off the inside after each layer so your layers are not blurred as in this picture. The sugar had not been wiped off early in the layering process.
- Wipe the rim of the Gifts in a jar, put on the lid and rim. Decorate as desired. Attach the following label to the Gifts in a jar: Empty jar into a bowl. Blend mix. Add 3/4 cup softened butter. Stir in one slightly beaten egg. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix until completely blended. You will need to finish mixing with your hands because the dough will be stiff. Shape into balls the size of walnuts. Place on cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 F (175 C) for 11-13 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet. Remove to racks to finish cooling.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.
Variation: If you prefer other dried fruit such as cranberries or figs use those instead of or in a mixture with the raisins. Chips (butterscotch, chocolate, cacoa nibs, peanut butter or a mixture of all of them) may also be substituted. In the above recipe pictures a mixture of butterscotch and chocolate chips are used.
If you would like to make your own topper labels Amazon has labels that fit the top of a regular mouth canning jar perfectly. When decorating a topper label you can make a design, family motto, or a message to make the jar look more professional. If the decoration for your Gifts in jars is such that you don’t want to detract from the looks of the jar with the directions label, use a round label and attach it to the BOTTOM of the jar.