Are you looking for something Cheap and Fun to do with your kids? Well Madame Deals will be adding a weekly column written by Sharon at Mom on Dealz and Heather at Living on Love and Cents. I will occasionally add my 2 cents since I am a certified Special Education and Regular education teacher. If you want or need modifications let me know in the comment section. Thank you for the great idea!
This is an activity I did during center time in the classroom and the kids LOVED it! It can be adapted for just about any subject but I am giving directions for early literacy skills.
**fishing set from Dollar Tree
**10-15 paper clips
1. Either use the paper to cut out fish shapes or small squares as shown in the picture above.
2. Label the shapes with letters, letter sounds, or sight words. If you use the plastic fish, tape the squares onto them. You can also use permanant marker to write on them but I prefer taping the paper and then I can always remove it later to do a different skill. If you are using homemade paper fish then clip the paper clips on the fish after you label them.
2. Have your child “fish” and identify what they have “caught”. You can have them tell you the letter, the letter sounds, words that begin with that letter, or even have them put the letters in alphabetical order after they have all been caught.
**You could also make your own “fishing pole” by using a popsickle stick, string, and magnet if you want to save any more money!
1. Label the fish with word sounds such as ch, sh, th, st, sk, tr and have your child tell you words that start or end with those sounds.
2. Label the fish with story elements (title, characters, setting, etc) and use the fishing game after reading to review the story read.
1. Label the fish with numbers and add, subtract, or multiple the numbers that you “catch”.
2. Lable the fish with shapes or colors and have your child identify them when they catch them.
1. Label fish with famous people taught in school and when your child “catches” the person have them tell you why they are famous. Example: George Washington-He was our first president and the “Father of Our Country”.
1. Label the fish with the scientific method and when your child catches one step they have tell you what it means. Example: The Procedure is a step by step explanation of how you conduct your experiement.
2. Label the fish with different animals. When your child catches one they have to tell you what habitat they live in. Example: A frog would live in a pond.