Fall Flavors: Caramel Apple Milky Way Cake
Looking for a delicious Fall Flavors cake that combines the seasonal Caramel Apple Milky Way candy bars and fresh apples?
When we found the Caramel Apple Milky Way candy bars we determined they would be delicious in a cake. Not finding a cake recipe with such we decided to adapt a Fresh Apple Cake recipe. This is a gooey cake full of fall flavors!
- 2 bags Caramel Apple Milky Way candy bars chopped
- 4 c. apples, chopped
- 2 c. sugar
- 3 c. flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- optional glaze ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Mix apples and sugar then allow to stand 1 hour.
- Mix together flour, cinnamon, salt and soda. OPPORTUNITY FOR CHILD HELPER: If you dump these ingredients in a container with a lid, such as the Hersheys container in the picture, even the smallest of children can hold the lid on and shake or mix the ingredients for you!
- Mix together oil, vanilla and eggs. OPPORTUNITY FOR CHILD HELPER: Again, if you put these ingredients in a container with a lid a child may help mix the ingredients. In the picture the liquid ingredients are in the jar with a lid. The jar has measurements on the side so the jar also doubled as the measuring utensil for the oil then the other ingredients were put in on top.
- Toss the candy bar and apple pieces with the dry ingredients to make sure nothing sticks together.
- Remove the pieces from the dry ingredients.
- Mix liquids with dry ingredients, add the chopped apples and Caramel Apple Milky Way candy bars.
- Bake in a greased tube pan at 350 for 1 hour. This cake may be served plain or you can use the following glaze and top with candy pieces.
- Optional glaze: Boil 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup light brown sugar, and 2 teaspoons milk. Spread over warm cake.
- Allow the cake to cool slightly before taking it out of the pan or you may be doing some creative serving as we had to- served with ice cream and was delicious! Would have also been good with cool whip in a trifle dish if I needed to present an entire dessert rather than single servings.
- Variations: You may add 1 cup chopped nuts at the same time you add the candy and apples if desired.
- Tips: While this is NOT a recipe for a young child to do alone there are certainily many opportunities for a child to help. These opportunities are not all noted, for example a helper could open the candy bar wrappers for you.
Did you know candy bars freeze well? Buy the seasonal Caramel Apple Milky Way candy bars.
Looking for other recipes with the Caramel Apple Milky Way candy bars? Try them on top of this Brownie jar mix recipe.
This recipe is considered a Cooking With Kids – How to level 3B due to the hour long baking as well as the chopping involved in the recipe. Read the series of Cooking with Kids- How to 1, 2, 3, and 4.
Enjoy this Fall flavored Caramel Apple Milky Way cake warm or cold!