Open your bathroom mirror, your purse, your makeup bag, and yes even your linen closet, I know you have a secret stash of beauty products in there. Now take a close look, no, a really close look. How much of it do you REALLY use, before it becomes just another clumped up mess at the bottom of your trash can? If you’re like me I know how much that hurts our pocket, not to mention your skin. I can almost bet, and probably win, that you suffer from sensitive skin and those products are essential to you. Well, did you know that you can make almost every single one of those products that you just pitched without having to go to a specialty store? You can make these products in just minutes and from ingredients found in your very own pantry and for a fraction of the cost.
Exfoliate With Strawberries
Use Strawberries. Strawberries are inexpensive and easily found in your local grocery story all year ‘round. They smell good, and have a natural acid that helps in the exfoliation process. You can use the recipe for your face, hands and feet. I found this recipe when I was in college and have used it ever since.
- 8-10 Strawberries
- 1-2 Tbsp Coarse Salt~You can use Seat Salt or Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp Apricot or Olive Oil
- 4 Almonds with the skin on
- Finely grate the almonds.
- Mash the strawberries. DO NOT use a blender, it will make the mixture too watery and almost unusable.
- Add the salt, oil, and almonds to the strawberry mixture and stir to mix well.
- Store in a glass jar and refrigerate. The mixture stores well for 7 days.
- Wash your face, hands or feet with a gentle soap, gently pat dry with a towel.
- Apply the strawberry exfoliating scrub evenly.
- Leave it on for about 3-5 minutes. Allow yourself to relax.
- If you are applying the exfoliant to your hands or feet, massage them gently in rotating movements for about 2 minutes.
- Wash off the exfoliating scrub with lukewarm water.
- Use a soft towel to pat your face, hands and feet dry.
- Take a little body lotion and gently massage it on the freshly, scrubbed area.
- You may repeat this process two times in a week.
This is such a fresh and nourishing exfoliant. Strawberries are so full of vitamins and adding the apricot oil or the olive oil introduces even more vitamins into your skin. You can definitely prepare the Strawberry Exfoliant a week ahead and have it ready for your “At home spa days.”
Thanks to Adventures of the Mommy Homemaker for these tips!
Check out more Beauty Tips!
Check out more Beauty & Health articles!
Check out our other Homemade/DIY projects: