Easy Carbonara Recipe
I try every week to add a new meal to our menu. I attempt to follow the food guru and 30 minute meal making queen, Rachael Ray. The best part of my quest is I use items that I bought on sale so these meals are yummy and affordable… and oh, yes they can be completed in 30 minutes or less!
This week we went to the Farmer’s Market. I banked on the fact that I would find all these wonderful veggies to make dinner with. I was disappointed. We did find Asparagus so I had to find a way to cook it and make dinner quickly with items I had on hand. I thought about just wrapping it in bacon like Renae suggested but I knew my husband would not buy into bacon and Asparagus only for dinner. It would have been an easy sell to the children and myself. This is a great dish that was easy and it uses items that are probably sitting in your cabinet. We look forward to eating it again soon.
Here’s how to make this Easy Carbonara Recipe
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 pound spaghetti
- 1 bunch asparagus, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper
- chopped ham
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and cheese. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until al dente, adding the asparagus during the last minute of cooking. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Add the hot pasta and asparagus to egg mixture; toss to coat.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, stir in the garlic. Add the wine and cook until slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Stir the bacon mixture into the pasta, adding enough of the reserved pasta water to moisten; season with salt and pepper.
- You can also add some chopped ham and top with parsley before serving.