Crockpot Crab and Corn Chowder
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) low-sodium, 99 percent fat-free chicken broth (3-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 pound all-purpose potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup baby carrots, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, trimmed and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 5 ears corn on the cob, husks removed
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated skim milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 container (8 ounces) pasteurized crab claw meat (such as Phillips)
1. Combine chicken broth, potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, thyme and Old Bay in a large oval slow cooker. Place corn on the cob on top of vegetables. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
2. In a bowl, stir together red pepper, evaporated milk, cornstarch and salt.
3. Uncover slow cooker and remove corn to a cutting board. Stir red pepper mixture into slow cooker, replace cover and cook on either HIGH or LOW for 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, when cool enough to handle, cut kernels from cobs. Stir corn kernels and crabmeat into soup and heat through. Serve warm.