Carpet Cleaning Tips
Carpet Cleaning Tips
Carpet Cleaning Tips-I don’t know about you, but having 3 cats and a very messy 5 year old does horrible things to my cream colored carpet. Having a professional come out and clean our carpets is just not in our budget. So I tried some at home carpet cleaning tips and now I’m going to share with you the ones that worked the best!
Carpet Cleaning Tips for your whole house:
- Carpets need to be vacuumed once a week or more in areas of heavy traffic. Frequent vacuuming prolongs the life of your carpet by preventing a buildup of gritty particles that can cut carpet fibers. Every few weeks, take a little extra time and use your crevice tool for cleaning around baseboards and radiators and in other hard-to-reach places.
- Add baking soda to the bag in your vacuum to fight odors.
- Rent a rug cleaner like RugDoctor and DIY! You will save tons of money by renting a carpet cleaner and doing the job yourself! They are pretty easy to operate, and always have done a great job for me!
- Avoid over-wetting your carpet. Don’t go over heavily soiled spots more than two times, it won’t clean it any faster. Berber, multi-level or looped carpets retain more liquid, making a big mess. For these types of carpets, do not repeat cleaning passes. If additional cleaning is desired, allow carpets to dry before attempting to re-clean heavily soiled areas
- Keep your carpets cleaner, by taking your shoes off at the door. Lead-contaminated soil from the outside creates the majority of lead dust inside our homes. Leaving your shoes at the door can cut your lead dust levels by 60 percent!To maintain carpets, wear socks or slippers instead of going barefoot indoors.
- Use any brand of Laundry Detergent powder (except varieties with bleach!) on your carpet instead of or in place of your Carpet freshener such as carpet fresh brand or others. This secret also cleans your carpet and adds a wonderful scent that is long lasting. Use sparingly though, as it tends to clog the vacuum if you use too much.
Carpet Cleaning Tips for stains and spot cleaning:
- A great way to get up a greasy spill on your carpet is to sprinkle the spot with a little cornmeal and allow it to sit for five minutes. Next, sponge the area with vinegar and water.
- A coffee or tea spill on the rug should come up easily if you catch it right away.I Just sponge it with clean water. If you didn’t catch it right away and the stain is set, use a vinegar and water solution; sponge it in, then rinse and wring until all brown color is gone. You can treat dark cola stains in the same way.
- When you have a brand-new red wine spill on a light-colored carpet, sprinkle the spill with salt and let it sit for 15 minutes. The salt will absorb the spill and will turn pink. After brushing or vacuuming the salt away, clean the area with a mixture of 1/3 cup vinegar and 2/3 cup water.
- For candle wax spills, first scoop out as much of the wax as possible, then place a piece of brown paper bag or a wet towel over the wax in the area you want to clean and go over it with a warm iron. (warm not hot! hot temperature will burn some carpets!)Keep the iron moving, and move the paper often. The heat from the iron melts the wax, and the brown paper wicks the wax OUT of the carpet. Repeat until it is gone! This works like a dream!
- To get mud out of the carpet, use shaving cream. Let it sit for a couple minutes, then blot it up. Works like a charm.Make sure you use the white foamy kind.
- Oxyclean! This is my personal favorite. Take a scoop of oxyclean and 2 cups of warm water and mix together. Pour over the stain and let sit for about 10 mins. Scrub with a toothbrush and tada! Stain gone!
I hope you learned something while reading my carpet cleaning tips! Do you have any carpet cleaning methods that work for you? Leave them below in the comments section!
Topic: Carpet Cleaning Tips