Ask an Accountant: Ways to slash your tax bill



This column is brought to us by Sharon from Mom on a Dealz. Madame Deals Inc. uses her husband as our business and personal accountant and gives him 5 stars. He is available for questions and was a pleasure to work with!

It’s tax time! My “Ask An Accountant” series should help with many questions that may arise. Remember, if you have a tax question, email my husband who is an experienced accountant at

Please keep in mind this post is for informational purposes only and answers given are very general. Do not rely on this column for definite tax answers as many things depend on individual circumstances. Please contact your personal accountant or financial advisor for your particular situation.

Still looking for ways to slash your tax bill?

This year you have a little extra time to do so. Consider contributing to an IRA. Because tax day falls on a Sunday this year & April 16th is a Washington DC holiday, 2011 Individual Tax returns are not due until Tuesday April 17th 2012. This means you have until April 17th 2012 to contribute. Taxpayer (and spouse) can each contribute up to $5,000 to an IRA (6,000 if they are 50 or older at the end of 2011). This can certainly reduce your tax bill significantly and may also give you additional benefit due to a “saver credit” aimed at encouraging lower income taxpayers to contribute to their retirement.

photo credit:

IRS Circular 230 Notice: Any U.S. tax advice in this written or electronic communication was not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding any penalties that may be imposed under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.

Please share...Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest0Share on Yummly0Share on Google+1Share on StumbleUpon0Share on Tumblr0Buffer this page