Ask an Accountant: How to handle my rollover?


This column is brought to us by Sharon from Mom on a Dealz. Madame Deals Inc. uses her husband as our business and personal accountant and gives him 5 stars. He is available for questions and was a pleasure to work with!

As we all know, it’s that dreaded time of the year-Tax time! In honor of tax season, I have a new series called “Ask An Accountant”. Send in your tax questions each week to [email protected] and I will post the question and give an answer from an experienced accountant.
How I want to handle my rollover..In 2010 I rolled over all the money from my IRA (which started out as a 401K )to a Roth IRA. Do I want to split the taxable amount between 2011 & 2012 or do I want put in the whole taxable amount this year & take the tax hit all this year?
If you think you will be in a higher tax bracket next year, then take it all now. If it will not make that much of a difference, split it to get refunds in both years. In the end you will most likely pay the same amount of tax on those dollars, you just have the option of paying the tax over 1 year or 2. Personally, I would opt for 2 years…(why pay the IRS now if they are allowing you to pay later with no penalty) You control the use of the money, not the IRS. This can be a gamble if tax rates increase, but I don’t think that wil happen for a few years.
*Please keep in mind this post is for informational purposes only and answers given are very general. Many things depend on individual circumstances. Please contact your personal accountant or financial advisor for your particular situation

photo credit:
Please share...Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest0Share on Yummly0Share on Google+0Share on StumbleUpon0Share on Tumblr0Buffer this page
Subscribe to RealAdviceGal Weekly newsletter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *