Ask an Accountant: Can Business Blogs Deduct Lawyers and Accountant Fees


This column is brought to us by Sharon from Mom on a Dealz. Madame Deals Inc. uses her husband as our business and personal accountant and gives him 5 stars. He is available for questions and was a pleasure to work with!

Although tax season is over, tax questions arise year round. Momondealz is married to an experienced accountant and will be answering questions sent to him at with the subject line “Ask an Accountant”. See previous questions and answers HERE


I am a blogger who has recently set my site up to be a “business”. This required seeking advice from lawyers and an accountant. Can I deduct the fees I was charged for this advice?


Yes. This would fall under legal and professional fees. As long as your meetings were business related, they are considered ordinary and neccessary business expenses. However, there are certain legal expenses that are considered “start up costs”. The cost of getting started before operations have begun are considered capital costs and are recovered over time. Since many bloggers start their sites before “becoming a business”, this usually doesn’t apply.

*Please keep in mind this post is for informational purposes only and answers given are very general. Do not rely on this column for definite tax answers as many things depend on individual circumstances. Please contact your personal accountant or financial advisor for your particular situation.

photo credit:
Please share...Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest0Share on Yummly0Share on Google+0Share on StumbleUpon0Share on Tumblr0Buffer this page
Subscribe to RealAdviceGal Weekly newsletter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *