Pamela is an RN, MSN/Ed.
Pamela is a mother of 6 amazing children ages 11 to 24. She is a nurse educator and loves to travel overseas to work in medical clinics and teach health-related topics to schools and communities. She has been married to her best friend, Steve, for 29 years. She has many different interests including reading, writing (NOT arithmetic!), baking, teaching, and spending time with her family. She lives in central Pennsylvania with her husband and two youngest daughters.
Random Health Facts to Make You Smile (or squirm!)
* Your kitchen sink is dirtier than your bathroom: There are typically more than 500,000 bacteria per square inch in its drain; the faucet, basin, and sponge are crawling with germs as well. Keep your sink clean by scrubbing it with cleanser or bleach; remember to clean the handles, faucet, and nozzle. Soak sponges in bleach, or zap them in a bowl in the microwave for 2 minutes daily.
* A sneeze can travel up to 100 mph. This is another great reason to sneeze in your elbow or tissue!
* Each person has about 4 pounds of bacteria living inside of his/her body. Don’t worry, most of these are beneficial bacteria!
* Our brain is 75% water, which is why even mild dehydration causes headaches. Try to drink at least 8 glasses of water daily.
* 60,000 trampoline injuries occur in the U.S each year. Many of these injuries are serious. Always supervise kids on a trampoline, and never use one without a safety net.
* Ninety percent of the population has an “innie” belly button.
* . Only one out of every three people washes their hands when leaving a public bathroom. Eeeeew! Please don’t be one of them!
* The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve razorblades.
* You get a new stomach lining every three to four days
* Undertakers report that human bodies do not deteriorate as quickly as they used to. The reason, they believe, is that the modern diet contains so many preservatives that these chemicals tend to prevent the body from decomposition too rapidly after death.
* The first Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandages were three inches wide and eighteen inches long. You made your own bandage by cutting off as much as you needed.
* Your thumb is the same length as your nose.
* The storage capacity of human brain exceeds 4 Terabytes.
* Approximately 85% of all skin cancer cases are caused by exposing to too much sun. Why can’t we get this through our heads? Sun exposure is dangerous and even kills! Use sunscreen of 15 SPF of higher EVERY DAY (not just in the summer, or when it is sunny)! Bronzers or spray on tans are the only safe way to tan.
* Ketchup was sold in the 1830s as medicine.
Don’t you feel enlightened? I hope you found a few facts that you weren’t aware of! I had fun researching these facts. Some facts I learned were just too disgusting to put in print! I guess sometimes ignorance is bliss!
Feel free to write to me at [email protected] ! I will try to answer any questions in a future column.
To see all Ask a Nurse articles click here.