20 of the best foods for weight loss
Weight Loss can be a challenge for anyone, so give yourself a great start by checking out 20 of the best foods for weight loss! These 20 superfoods are great for kick starting your metabolism, calming cravings, and detoxing your body. Nutrition is the core for weight loss and knowing what is good for your body is a great way to start any diet and exercise plan.
Here are 20 of the best foods for weight loss, and why they are awesome:
1.Almonds- Almonds are great for weight loss. Almonds are packed with protein and good fats, and most importantly, they stop you from feeling hungry. They are high in calories, but studies show they do not contribute to belly fat.
2.Cinnamon- Cinnamon is great for if you are craving something sweet. Even better then satisfying that sweet craving is the effect it has on your insulin. A little cinnamon over oatmeal for a mid-afternoon snack will help control post-meal insulin spikes, which can make you feel hungry. Also, a tsp on cinnamon a day is showed to lower your blood sugar levels.
3.Apple Cider Vinegar- I wrote an entire post about the awesomeness of apple cider vinegar so of course I had to put it on this list as well. Apple Cider Vinegar is great digestive tonic. Add a capful to your meals (on a salad, cooked chicken, etc) and it will help flush toxins and get rid of water retention in your stomach.
4.Brown Rice- Brown Rice is a great edition to your lean protein. It’s full of of B vitamins which can help you burn calories faster. Rice also expands in your stomach, making you feel fuller, faster.
5.Watermelons- Watermelons are sweet, and a perfect summer treat. They are also 92% water, so it’s low calorie! Watermelon also has some great nutrients and cancer fighting antioxidants, bonus!
6. Grapes- grapes come in at only 100 calories per cup, making them a great snack option. They have a high water count so it will help you feel fuller faster.
7. Lima Beans- Lima Beans are a great alternative to meat. One cup of lima beans have the same amount of protein as 2 oz of meat. Consider swapping out meat choice for these fat free beans once a week (meatless monday?) and see how great is does for your weight loss.
8.Portobello Mushrooms- Portobello mushrooms are another great meat alternative. They are high in fiber and low in calories, try grilling them and making a burger out of them!
9. Romaine Lettuce- Romaine Lettuce is only 10 calories per cup, and unlike iceberg lettuce is full of fiber and vitamins. Drizzle some olive oil and vinegar over the top to make a great side for your dinner.
10. Ground Turkey- Ground Turkey is a great alternative to ground beef with 1/2 the calories and just as much flavor. You can use ground turkey in any way you can use ground beef. I love making turkey burgers or turkey tacos!
11. Celery- Celery is one of the oldest diet tricks in the book. Celery has what they call “anti-calories” which basically means it takes more energy to eat the celery then their are calories in the celery itself. Bonus it’s a great source of many other essential nutrients such as dietary fiber, folate, potassium, and thiamine!
12. Lemons and Limes- Lemons and Limes are a great source of vitamin C, and it’s a great way to help you drink more water. Squeeze some fresh lemon and/or lime into your water and get a flavor boost without added sugar or calories.
13. Greek Yogurt- Greek Yogurt is a great breakfast,dessert, or snack option. It contains natural probiotics which aid in digestion by helping reducing bloating and gas. Greek Yogurt is also lower in sugar and calories then regular yogurt!
14. Salmon- Salmon is one of my favorite forms of proteins. It’s high in omega-3 oil which is found to prevent the increase of fat cells and promotes the breakdown of fat cells. And, it’s delicious!
15. Sweet Peppers- Sweet Peppers are a great way to spice up any meal, and capsaicin, a natural metabolism booster. They can be eaten in some many different ways too. Chop them up and dip them into some light ranch, roast them, stuff them, or turn them into salsa!
16. Grapefruit- Grapefruit lowers the insulin levels in your body, which prevents your body from storing as much sugar as fat. Lower insulin levels also reducing cravings and curbs your appetite. Sprinkle it with a sugar substitute for a great breakfast.
17. Green Tea- Green Tea is always being praised by health conscience people, and for good reason. Green tea is showed to improve your metabolism by as much as 4% in only 24 hours! Another benefit of green tea is the caffeine content. It isn’t as much as a cup of coffee, but it is enough to get your heart pumping just a little harder, and burn some calories!
18. Eggs- Eggs are a great source of protein and also contain a great balance of essential amino acids. If you eat some eggs in the morning (and yes, it’s ok to keep the yolks!) studies show you will stay fuller, longer.
19. Extra Virgin Olive Oil- EVOO is a great oil to cook with, dress your salads with, and it has 70% monounsaturated fats that protect against heart diseases and cancer!
20. Water- Yes, water. I know it seems like a Duh addition, a lot of people forget! Water is great for keeping you hydrated, which we all know is crucial for weight loss. Eating well is great, but if you grab a sugary drink, you have ruined all your hard work. So drink up!
Looking for some more great articles to help you with your weight loss? Check these out:
- 25 foods that will help you look good naked
- 25 uses for Apple Cider Vineagar
- Weight loss: A Q&A session
topic: weight loss